What constitutes a personal injury?

A personal injury is any physical or mental injury to an individual as a result of another person’s negligence or harmful act. Personal injuries can occur in a variety of ways, ranging from auto accidents and defective product injuries, to dog bites and more.

What financial compensation can I get in a personal injury claim?

Personal injury victims are entitled to compensation for all losses and expenses they incur as a result of the injury. These can include compensation for medical costs, lost wages, or damages for pain and suffering.

Do I need to hire a personal injury lawyer?

If you have been seriously injured, an experienced personal injury attorney should be consulted before you give any statements to insurance companies or sign papers of any kind.

In a serious injury case, it is advisable to hire an attorney as soon as possible. There are sets of statutes of limitations that require you to file suit within a specific period of time or you could be prohibited from obtaining any compensation for your injuries.

We offer a free consultation with no obligation. You have nothing to lose by consulting an attorney before you accept an insurance company offer.

What actions can I take if I sustained a dog bite injury?

Oregon laws regarding dog bites differ from most states in that the owner of the dog is only liable for the injury her or his dog caused if the dog is considered “potentially dangerous.” This means that the victim is required to prove that the owner was negligent in preventing her or his dog from injuring someone. Call us today to discuss your situation and we will determine the next possible steps in recovering compensation.

What is medical malpractice?

Medical malpractice occurs when you are injured or become ill because of negligence or misconduct on the part of a healthcare professional. Examples include errors in prescribing treatment or medications, fetal injuries caused during birth, or failure to properly diagnose conditions. If you believe you have suffered an injury at the hands of a healthcare professional, contact us to determine how to proceed.

Are there different laws regarding differing types of motor vehicle accidents?

Yes. There are many factors that determine the type of compensation for which you might be eligible. Examples include the type of vehicle (e.g. semis or motorcycles), the area in which the accident occurred, and the presence of any drugs or alcohol.

Are accidents involving drunk drivers prosecuted differently than other motor vehicle accidents?

Yes. Unlike car accidents not involving alcohol, drunk drivers face additional penalties called punitive damages. Punitive damages often include heavy fines and license suspensions in an effort to dissuade people from driving under the influence.

Can establishments that over-serve patrons who cause accidents be penalized?

Yes. When a drunk driver causes an accident and/or injury to someone else as a result of their intoxication and it is determined that they were served alcohol by a bar or restaurant, your attorney may choose to prosecute said establishment for over-serving.

Are maritime personal injuries handled differently than other personal injury cases?

Yes. The laws surrounding maritime injuries lies at the crossroads of personal injury and maritime law. The Jones Act, also known as the Merchant Marine Act, protects the rights of seamen with a substantial connection to a particular ship. Such seamen are protected by what is known as the “doctrine of seaworthiness.” If you work on a ship and have been injured at work, call us today to discuss your options for compensation.

Do you offer a free consultation?

Yes! We offer free consultations to all potential clients. You have nothing to lose by discussing your impending case with us. Call us today at (503) 417-4227 to schedule your risk-free consultation.

Still have questions? Call Sarah Nelson, P.C. today at (503) 417-4227 to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney.